If you are a pregnant woman who needs help quitting drinking, contact your doctor, healthcare provider or nursing station. You can also contact the Addictions Foundation of Manitoba at 1-866-638-2561.
Health Links is a 24-hour, seven-days-a-week telephone information service staffed by nurses who are knowledgeable and ready to answer your health questions. Call (204) 788-8200 or toll-free 1-888-315-9257 anytime.
As a partner:
- Stop drinking – if you keep drinking, it is more difficult for your partner to stop.
- Be aware – do what you can to prevent your partner from feeling excluded because she isn’t drinking in social or other settings.
- Care – your partner is the mother of your child, so give her all the support she needs.
As a friend:
- Be supportive – tell your friend how proud you are of her decision not to drink.
- Be proactive – think of activities that don’t involve drinking in order to allow your friend to participate.
- Be considerate – remember that the decision to not drink is ultimately the woman’s to make.
No matter who you are:
- Ask the woman if she wants support.
- Don’t judge or move too quickly towards solutions.
- Offer practical support like avoiding alcohol when you are together, caring for other children to offer her a break or attending appointments with her.
- Recognize small successes.
- Help her get the professional support she may need.
We can all do our part to prevent alcohol-related disabilities and support women to Be With Child Without Alcohol.