Women and Alcohol
According to the most recent Canadian Addiction Survey, more than 76% of women reported drinking at some point over a 12-month span.
Some 10% of them engaged in heavy weekly drinking or binge drinking – which refers to consuming five or more standard drinks in one occasion – while the other 90% said they drink socially.
It is important to remember that drinking any alcohol while you are pregnant puts your fetus at risk.
While the best thing a woman can do is stop drinking if the possibility of becoming pregnant exists, the next best thing is to stop drinking immediately when she finds out she is pregnant.
Reducing consumption or stopping at any time throughout the pregnancy lessens the chance a baby will be born with an alcohol-related disability.